Re: [rrg] Next topic?

Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi> Tue, 10 May 2011 01:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 04:20:31 +0300
From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Sender: decoy@kapsi.fi
To: Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: rrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [rrg] Next topic?

On 2011-05-09, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> In prior conversations with you, you have suggested that the broad
> architectural approach I prefer for path selection - i.e. topology
> distribution, with unified path computation [...]

I'm sensing NIMROD, here. It'd be nice to see it rehashed why precisely
OSPF-like full topology distribution and/or a purely source routing
framework could or couldn't be done within a wider, multilevel context.
Also the relative pros and cons of going that way, or not. A couple of
decades or so more experience certainly couldn't hurt.

I also wonder whether there is some unifying factor under the
Interplanetary Internet work, the recent, more practical routing work
on-list wrt IRON/LISP/whatnot, and the long (thin or thick) network
stuff. All three pictures rely heavily on information stored at the edge
of the network, which will or should influence routing decisions.
Evidently the data should stay at the edge, if at all possible, but all
that caching, prediction and compression seems somehow unifiable to me.

Is there some overa(r)ching principle lying around here, perhaps having
to do with (nondeterministic?) source routing, unconventional prediction
by the source, and (soft state?) edge to core (? to edge? one-way?)
signaling? With the grand aim of countering otherwise-expected latency
and other routing-relevant problems, in an e2e-compatible way?

As a much more well-defined problem, a recent I-D-in-queue points out
many problems in how IPv6's flow label is defined and constrained. One
of the main solutions to the hassle that it proposes is to hide any
manipulations of the semantics to within some fixed realm and/or AS
and/or something, so that the manipulations aren't visible from the
outside. Much of the LISP/IRON/MPLS/whatnot work tries to achieve the
precise same thing -- transparent routing from the viewpoint of the edge
device, while the core is doing something else entirely. So do we even
now have a good description of what the edge device should see, once and
for all? If not, nailing that down to pure logic would seem like a
worthwhile exercise, and a rather well-defined one at that. As such it
would be an academically motivated one, but in practice it might help in
unexpected ways wrt the protocols we actually use, right now, including
but not limited to IP and ICMP in their two main versions.

Van Jacobson et al's content centric networking, of course. Especially
if we could somehow make it lighter-weight than it is now. (The inherent
copying aspect is just as relevant or irrelevant as it was with TCP, I
think, from the purely technical viewpoint. I'm also pretty sure there
are efficient ways to compress those long URI-style addresses downto
something routable in even current silicon. If not e2e, then at least
MPLS-style hop-to-hop FEC-like. I'm thinking about some derivation of
0-complete trees or something to that effect. But that's still research
stuff, not real, clear-cut engineering, the precise way HIP used to be.)

An evaluation of any and all ways to aggregate and/or cheaply refine
existing congestion pricing work done by the IETF at the core routing
level would be neat as well. I.e. how might the ConEx work interface
with the core routing fabric. Again, there might be a multitude of
fundamental interface questions lurking around here, well-suited for
IRTF and not so much for IETF.

Even a facts-based unification of fundamental internet protocol
compressions is very much lacking. It probably could be done at least to
a degree, and it would be very useful especially with IPv6, with its fat
headers and the current deeply nested protocol stack. But nobody's ever
tried to tackle the problem in full, at a fundamental level, at least to
my knowledge.

These are all newbie ideas, but perhaps one or two of them could also
break the silence Noel mentioned.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2