Re: [rrg] Recommendation and what happens next

Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li> Sun, 07 March 2010 05:32 UTC

Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 21:32:02 -0800
From: Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>
To: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>, RRG <rrg@irtf.org>
Cc: Lixia Zhang <lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [rrg] Recommendation and what happens next

Hi Robin,

> Maybe I missed something on the mailing list, but I only just
> realised from the agenda of the next meeting:
>
>   http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/RRGagendaAnaheim
>
> that the Recommendation is to be discussed all day then.

As always, the agenda will not be final until the meeting starts.  And
sometimes not even then.  ;-)

> Can you explain what happens next?

No.  ;-) ;-) ;-)

What I would like to have happen next is nothing but fantasy.  What I expect
will happen will look like:

    - Some initial discussion
    - Presentation of the recommendation
    - Feedback afterwards

> Is the Recommendation to be discussed on the mailing list between
> now and the meeting?  Will it be discussed after the meeting, and
> if so for how long?

Yes, folks are welcome to discuss the recommendation on the mailing list
between now and the meeting.

Yes, it will undoubtedly be discussed after the meeting, probably for
several years.  ;-)

> Do you judge consensus regarding the Recommendation at the meeting
> or on the list?

Given the lack of consensus that we have seen so far, there's not going to
even be a call for consensus.

> Is there an absolute deadline for finalising the RRG Report?

Not that I know of.  Of course, if we take too long, the IRTF Chair may step
in.

> What happens once it is finalised?  I understand the IESG will
> consider it.  Will the question of what to do next - which, if
> any, architectures are to be developed in the IETF - be discussed
> on the IETF list and/or the RRG list?
>
> I assume the RRG itself will continue, at least in the form of an
> email list, until the IESG's decision.

The IESG is free to do whatever it likes with the recommendation.  My guess
is that there will be cursing involved.  ;-)   Eventually however, I would
expect that the IESG would open a WG in the routing area to pursue this.
Where the discussions occur, if any, is up to the IESG.

I would expect that the RRG would continue on and address other routing
research issues.  The RRG has been a standing group for some time and has
looked at numerous issues.  This is only the latest work item.  Other
obvious things that may be taken up: prevention of micro-loops, multi-party
routing in mobile networks, etc.  I would expect that the next work item
would be under new leadership, more appropriate to the subject matter.

Tony