Re: [rrg] Why won't supporters of Loc/ID Separation (CEE)argue their case? (Summary of differences)

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Thu, 11 March 2010 22:30 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>, RRG <rrg@irtf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:29:41 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Ran Atkinson <rja@extremenetworks.com>, Scott Brim <scott.brim@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [rrg] Why won't supporters of Loc/ID Separation (CEE)argue their case? (Summary of differences)

Hi Robin,

A few comments below:

I am convinced that IRON-RANGER solves the scaling problem,
but I will work on some additional scaling analysis to also
convince you and other readers.

>   1 - No changes to the current naming model, in which the IP address
>       plays the roles of both Identifier and Locator.
>
>   2 - Therefore, requires no changes to host stacks or applications.
>
>   3 - Works fine with IPv4 and IPv6 (for Ivip and LISP at least - I
>       think some of IRON-RANGER is IPv6-specific).

IRON-RANGER used to speak of using IPv6 neighbor discovery
as the means for locator liveness testing, dissemination
of routing information, secure redirection, etc. However,
the VET and SEAL mechanisms are being revised to instead
use a different mechanism called the SEAL Control Message
Protocol (SCMP) for tunnel endpoint negotiations that occur
*within* the tunnel sublayer and are therefore not visible
to either the outer IP protocol nor the inner network layer
protocol. Hence, the inner network layer protocol could be
anything, including IPv4, IPv6, OSI CLNP, or any other network
layer protocol that is eligible for encapsulation in IP.

>   4 - LISP and Ivip at least can support the TTR Mobility
>       architecture and so provide scalable mobility - for both IPv4
>       and IPv6, without changes to host stacks (except for extra
>       tunneling software in the MN).
>
>   5 - Do not require hosts to do more work.  Significant extra delays
>       at one or both ends of a communication establishment will
>       sometimes, perhaps frequently, occur with LISP-ALT - due to
>       ITRs dropping packets until they receive mapping information
>       via the ALT global query system.  Ivip with DRTM typically
>       involves insignificant delays since authoritative query servers
>       are "nearby".  (See draft-whittle-ivip-drtm.)
>
>   6 - With LISP's PTRs and Ivip's DITRs, adopters get full benefits
>       of portability, multihoming and inbound TE for all their
>       communications irrespective of the level of adoption:
>
>             ^
>          B  |*********      Core-Edge Separation (CES)
>          e  |*********
>          n  |*********
>          e  |*********
>          f  |*********
>          i  |*********
>          t  |*********
>             |*********
>             |*********
>             0--------->
>               Effort ~= level of adoption
>
>   7 - Because of this, substantial scalable routing benefits accrue
>       in direct proportion to the level of adoption:
>
>             ^
>          B  |        *      Core-Edge Separation (CES)
>          e  |       **
>          n  |      ***
>          e  |     ****
>          f  |    *****
>          i  |   ******
>          t  |  *******
>             | ********
>             |*********
>             0--------->
>               Effort ~= level of adoption
>
>   8 - Apart from Ivip's Modified Header Forwarding arrangements,
>       CES architectures involve encapsulation for tunneling packets
>       from ITRs to ETRs (IRON-RANGER doesn't have ITRs and ETRs, but
>       it still requires encapsulated tunneling).  There are some
>       problems with this - but they do not appear to be prohibitive.

IRON-RANGER calls them as ITEs/ETEs because it is possible
to also configure a tunnel endpoint on a host and not just
on routers. In terms of routers, the IRON-RANGER ITE/ETE
are exactly equivalent to what the other proposals are
calling as ITR/ETR.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com