Re: [rrg] Recommendation and what happens next

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Mon, 08 March 2010 16:49 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>, RRG <rrg@irtf.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:49:16 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Lixia Zhang <lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [rrg] Recommendation and what happens next

Hi Robin,

About IRON-RANGER below:

The points on security and scaling have been addressed
in my latest rebuttal; see:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg06158.html

> there's no apparent method of supporting packets sent from
> non-upgraded networks.

Non-upgraded IPv4 networks will continue to work as they
always have. Do you mean non-upgraded IPv6 networks?

Assuming the latter, let's consider that today we have
two separate BGP instances - the IPv4 BGP instance and
the IPv6 BGP instance. The IPv6 BGP instance carries a
set of IPv6 prefixes (e.g., 2001:: derivatives) that are
routed in the IPv6 Internet in the "traditional" sense.
What IRON-RANGER is doing is essentially creating a
*third* BGP instance - one that carries a new set of
IPv6 Virtual Prefixes (VPs) that are distinct from the
prefixes carried in the traditional IPv6 BGP instance.

Due to routing scaling issues, IRON-RANGER expects that
growth of this new third BGP instance will flourish while
growth of the traditional IPv6 BGP instance will level
off. In order to support what I think you mean by
non-upgraded networks then, it only requires that IPv6
routers connected to the IRON also participate in the
traditional IPv6 BGP instance. For that matter, not all
IRON routers need to participate, but at least some must.

> As far as I know, there have been no
> substantial counter-arguments to these critiques.

Do the above points address your concerns?

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com