Re: [rtcweb] Protesting the QoS document decision

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 14 November 2013 02:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 03:16:40 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: James Polk <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Cc: rai-ads@tools.ietf.org, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, tsv-ads@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Protesting the QoS document decision

On 11/13/2013 11:11 PM, James Polk wrote:
> I, speaking at the mic, was merely pointing out that this draft had
> moved to TSVWG back in the Atlanta timeframe (though, thinking back, I
> think I left the timing piece out of my comment), so it wasn't a
> recent decision. I believe this came directly from talks between the
> above mentioned ADs.

This only reinforces my procedural comment. The fact that the decision,
and the reasons for it, has been hidden from the group for 8 (?) months
only makes it worse, not better.

When ADs make decisions by talking among themselves, they have a special
duty to make sure those decisions are public and open to the community.
That duty has not been executed in this case.
I don't know who dropped the ball - the ADs or the chairs. But the ball
was definitely dropped.

> As for RTCweb work being more appropriately inside the RTBweb WG
> instead of another group, I'd like to point out that much of the SDP
> work related to this WG is in fact being done in MMUSIC. Much of the
> RTP work being done by this WG is being done in AVTCORE (or AVTEXT?).
> All of the base SCTP work being done by this WG is being done in TSVWG.

I have issues with those too. Especially the speed at which they're
progressing. But those decisions were made and announced in a timely
fashion.

The argument that has been used is that the pieces we need defined
(BUNDLE, MSID, circuit-breakers, RMCAT) have general applicability, and
should therefore be processed by groups that are chartered to define
extensions with general applicability.

> (this is not an attack, but...)
>
> ...why are you arguing for something as far away down the stack as
> DSCP assignments to be done in RTCweb, and not where all other
> DiffServ work is being done in the IETF (in TSVWG)? Do you not trust
> that TSVWG will do an appropriate just with a DiffServ ID but you will
> trust TSVWG with SCTP IDs?

My understanding of the QoS draft has always been that it should define
no new codepoints. It should point out the language we need to translate
RTCWEB requirements ("audio should go faster than video, except when the
app says that it should be the other way around") into already-defined
DSCP code points.

I have not seen anyone arguing for new DSCP codepoints, so I really
wonder what work there is for TSVWG to do.

Again, the arguments may be there, but since they were never exposed to
the mailing list, I cannot evaluate them.

> Color me confused...
>
> James
>
> BTW - Full disclosure, I'm an listed author of this draft, but had no
> voice in it getting moved between the WGs.

My biggest practical issue with this draft is that it's functionally
dead. I'm getting put in a place where I have to either delay shipping
this feature in product or ship without even the guidance of a live draft.

I want this group to be done. As long as I can't even point to the
document that describes how we do QoS, I have no chance of getting it to
that stage.