Re: [sidr] Key learning procedures in BGPsec?

"Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@sparta.com> Wed, 18 January 2012 01:20 UTC

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@sparta.com>
To: Eric Osterweil <eosterweil@verisign.com>, "sidr@ietf.org list" <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:20:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.185.63.118]
Subject: Re: [sidr] Key learning procedures in BGPsec?

About #1:

ROAs are used for origin validation.  (*) The bgpsec router needs only the prefix-AS binding in the ROA, not the crypto part, and only for the origin validation, not the signature attribute validation.  The rpki-rtr protocol is one way to communicate that binding.

The bgpsec signature attribute validation does need the public keys that are used to validate the signatures.  (And the binding to an AS - see previous message.)  But it is the nature of the public part of a public/private key pair that security concerns are lower for communicating that part of the pair and exposure is no concern.

--Sandy

(*)(Years ago Geoff corrected me about calling ROAs "certs" and I've remembered the lesson. They're just signed objects, not certs.)