Re: [sidr] Key learning procedures in BGPsec?

"Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@sparta.com> Thu, 19 January 2012 22:25 UTC

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@sparta.com>
To: Eric Osterweil <eosterweil@verisign.com>, Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:25:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.185.63.118]
Cc: "sidr@ietf.org list" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] Key learning procedures in BGPsec?

About your "all BGPSEC routers in the global routing system" - keep in mind that the ebgp routers are the ones that need a private key, not all the routers in an AS.

While we have a lot of info on churn in routing updates, I am not certain how to predict how much church there will be in the keys assigned to routers.

To those who operate networks:
can you mention an order of magnitude of the number of e-bgp routers you have?
can you mention how often you re-key your routers, for whatever secure communication you ordinarily  use with the routers?  (I presume without proof that operators typically secure the communications to their routers and must already be doing key management.)

--Sandy