Re: [sidr] request for agenda items for interim meeting 6 Jun

Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com> Tue, 22 May 2012 15:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 11:54:57 -0400
From: Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com>
To: sidr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sidr] request for agenda items for interim meeting 6 Jun

Sandy,

In my opinion the biggest open issue in the bgpsec protocol draft is the
confederation issue that we discussed at the previous interim. (That is,
if we don't include AS4_Path or AS_Path in a bgpsec signed update, then
we need to somehow encode the information that would be in the
AS_confed_sequence segments of the AS_Path.) At the April interim there
were three possible solutions that people put forward to address this
issue. However, we didn't decide on what was the best way forward. Now
that people have had some more time to think about the issue, I would
very much like to try and reach concensus at the Vancouver interim so
that  we can close this issue. If it would be helpful, I'm happy to
throw together a few slides for the interim summarizing the problem and
the possible solutions discussed at the April interim.

Also, recently submitted a new version of
draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol (the -03 version). This document has
significant changes from the (-02) version. Most, if not all of the
changes were discussed at the Paris sidr meeting, so it probably isn't
necessary to present them again. However, I would encourage anyone who
is able to read Section 3 (the format for the BGPSEC_Path_Signatures
attribute) of  the -03 version before Vancouver. There may be places in
the draft where the foolish document editor failed to produce text that
reflects what the working group agreed to in Paris, and it would be good
to get those issues (if they exist) resolved sooner rather than later.

- Matt Lepinski