Re: [tao-discuss] Review Request for Possible Revision of the Tao of the IETF

Greg Wood <ghwood@staff.ietf.org> Thu, 14 April 2022 15:48 UTC

From: Greg Wood <ghwood@staff.ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:48:11 -0400
To: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>, "tao-discuss@ietf.org" <tao-discuss@ietf.org>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "Salz, Rich" <rsalz@akamai.com>, Lars Eggert <lars@eggert.org>, Niels ten Oever <mail@nielstenoever.net>
Subject: Re: [tao-discuss] Review Request for Possible Revision of the Tao of the IETF

[Picking this point in the thread for a point not specifically related to the Tao, below]

> [...]
>
> - content published in a form/mechanism that allows for that "drive by" review and change requests, which we generally take to be GitHub.
> - clear responsibilities on who reviews the change requests
> - quick response to any issues and change request received
>
> We’ve partly achieved that for the two micro-sites we’ve recently launched - authors.ietf.org and chairs.ietf.org as those are now GitHub backed but the main website is not there yet.
>
> #  Structure of our content
>
> We have a huge volume of content, written by many dedicated people over many years and there are a lot of positives in that:
>
> - lots of people voluntarily put huge effort into writing documentation
> - people keep an impressive array of knowledge in working memory that they can use both to author and review
> - people really care and are trying hard to provide people with useful info
> - great level of detail
>
> However, much of our content is written for "IETF participants" in the broadest sense, rather than more targeted at specific roles or tasks and that creates a range of issues.  In other words, our content often seems to assume that all participants are going to speak in WGs, author drafts, be a scribe, ask questions at the plenary, etc, etc. The issues are:
>
> - our content often tries to cover everything that someone might possibly need to know, ever,
> - we say the same/similar thing in multiple places, which in turn makes it hard for people to find everything they need in one place
> - reading and understanding our content is overwhelming, there’s rarely an easy way in
> - leads to duplication as each of the locations tries to cover enough to be useful
> - when things change the incorrect text has to be tracked down in multiple places, which it rarely is and so stale content abounds
>
> What we need, and what Greg is working on with emodir, is a participant journey - a set of roles that participants take that we can flesh out and target our content at.  To be clear, I don’t mean the difference between beginner and expert, those can still be interpreted as "need to know everything" just at different levels of detail.  Instead I mean "roles" such as: mailing list lurker, in-person participant, author, wg chair, etc.  The new authors.ietf.org and chairs.ietf.org follow that principle - they aggregate all the information for one specific role into one place.  Those are not finished by any means, we don’t have a formal review team in place, there’s lots of old content around, we don’t have enough stratified content for beginners to experts, but they are getting there.

In addition to using roles/personas/journeys to understand and then deliver what a particular person needs at a point in time to achieve a successful outcome (for them), another important aspect of this approach is to validate our work with target audiences.  This requires a bit more work when they include individuals not currently active in the IETF.  For example, the “newcomers” label applied to some activities might not attract individuals who are experienced technologists but nonetheless new to the IETF and would benefit from those activities. So checking in with audiences is something that is in the mix as well.

> # Our style of writing
>
> Most of our content, whoever the author, is written in a friendly open style.  Authors have made a great effort to be clear and to be inclusive.
>
> However, despite that, there are two bad habits that fly underneath the radar. The first is to be defensive  - must do this, don’t do this, avoid that, watch out for this, and so on.  It’s as if successful participation in the IETF is predicated on learning all the rules not to break and the specific processes that must be followed to the letter.  The second is to believe that IETF memes or in-jokes have the same (or any) meaning outside the IETF as they do within.  The "many fine lunches" example from this conversation captures that perfectly - a completely meaningless phrase unless you’ve been part of the IETF for at least 10? years.

In general, language is often baked into content in subtle ways that make it less understandable for those not familiar with the IETF.  For example, use of “draft” to mean Internet-Draft without explaining that the two terms are related.  As another example, the term “BOFs” or even “Birds of a Feather” is puzzling to outsiders as apparently it is not widely used to mean the same thing as it is in the IETF (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_a_Feather).

Identifying and tackling these subtle barriers requires concerted review and effort, and is another aspect of the work underway within emodir.

-Greg

--
Greg Wood
IETF LLC