Re: [tcmtf] Answers to possible questions in the BOF

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Wed, 03 July 2013 15:58 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'jsalazar' <jsalazar@unizar.es>, tcmtf@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:58:31 +0200
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Answers to possible questions in the BOF

Hi, Jose Luis. Good point.

Regarding security, we could establish this classification:

1- Adding security to TCM: I have a number of non-secured flows traveling through a “dangerous” network segment (perhaps a tunnel between appliances connecting remote offices of a company), and I want not only traffic optimization but also security. In this case, I can simply use IPsec on the tunnel.

2- Using TCM for optimizing already secured communications: I have a bunch of already secured flows. Which is the best way for tunneling, compressing and multiplexing them?

Two subcases:

2a- I can use TCM normally, but not only compress IP, TCP or UDP headers, but also security headers using a header compression method. Some possibilities for compressing security headers:

- ROHCoIPsec, RFC5856 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5856)
- RFC5225 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5225

2b- But I can save more bandwidth if the TCM-ingress optimizer (TCM-IO) is able to:
- rebuild the packets to their native form
- TCM-optimize them
- put them into a single security tunnel

I have three phases (let's suppose I have 20 communications):

Origin 1
Origin 2     <----20 secured flows --------> TCM-IO <------1 tunnel------> TCM-EO <-------- 20 secured flows----> destination 1, 2, 20
Origin 20

I have an advantage: In the shared network path, I use a single tunnel instead of 20 different tunnels.

But I have some additional requirements: I need processing capacity in the TCM optimizers, and the endpoints should trust them.

Is this classification correct? Any other options? Any other requirements? It is time for "security experts".

Jose