Re: [tcmtf] Answers to possible questions in the BOF

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Mon, 01 July 2013 09:47 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: jltornos@unizar.es
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 11:46:58 +0200
Cc: tcmtf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Answers to possible questions in the BOF

Hi, Jose Luis.

Regarding security, we can also think about "Unified threat management"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Threat_Management), an appliance used
for connecting remote offices, creating VPNs.

If we merge this concept with "WAN optimization"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAN_optimization), we can have a device next
to the router, which can use TCM-TF.

Considering that security headers, if a new header has to be added to each
packet, then the obtained savings by multiplexing can be even higher.
Perhaps we could do a preliminary study of the expected (asymptotic)
bandwidth savings which could be obtained on each case:

- IPSec
	- transport mode
	- tunnel mode

	- Authentication header
	- Encrypt header

More options?

Perhaps we could consider 20 packets, and calculate:

Number of bytes for a tunnel including 20 packets / Number of bytes for a 20
tunnels

Would it be very complicated? I am not a security expert...

Jose

Ipsec-