Re: [76attendees] RFID

"George, Wes E [NTK]" <Wesley.E.George@sprint.com> Tue, 10 November 2009 01:48 UTC

From: "George, Wes E [NTK]" <Wesley.E.George@sprint.com>
To: "John G. Scudder" <jgs@juniper.net>, Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:49:06 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "76attendees@ietf.org" <76attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [76attendees] RFID

I like the concept. I do not have privacy concerns, given that even if you could determine the link between the RFID and my account, for your trouble you are the proud owner of mostly useless information, a lot of which you probably already know. It's not like the system asks for any sort of personal info that could be used maliciously (nor should it).
I would argue that if you are actually that interested in me (or any other attendee) that there are much easier ways to get more useful information about me than to try to compromise a benign RFID system.

I echo John's comments - too many instances of reader issues, site login problems, incorrect room/reader associations leading to incorrect records for this to be quite ready for primetime as a replacement for the bluesheets, but a great idea, and one we should continue to refine.

I would recommend that if the folks undertaking this experiment are willing, we continue with the experiment for the next few meetings in order to work the kinks out and enhance the system (such as populating on Jabber/audio), perhaps with a dedicated mailing list for RFID issues/suggestions.

Thanks,
Wes