Re: [arch-d] [IAB] Call for Comment: <draft-iab-for-the-users-02> (The Internet is for End Users)

Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com> Thu, 06 February 2020 14:47 UTC

To: Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>, architecture-discuss@ietf.org, iab@iab.org
From: Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 09:47:31 -0500
Subject: Re: [arch-d] [IAB] Call for Comment: <draft-iab-for-the-users-02> (The Internet is for End Users)

Yes, put simply, I think that declaring that the user's interest takes
precedence over everything else is wrong.  You or the IAB as a whole are
of course free to come to different conclusions, but I think it is
actually very helpful to view it as a tussle with a veriety of itnerests
that need to be respected.

If the IAB really wants to say that they think the tussle is over, I
would expect to see the names of approving IAB members at the end of the
document when this is done.  If, on the other hand the IAB considers
this a useful perspective but not necessarily one they all agree with,
then I would expect that to be clearly stated.

Personally, if the IAB takes the stance that this is a done deal, and
the tussle is over, that will decrease the likelihood of my bothering to
pay attention to the specifics (to the extent they exist) in the
document.  Your choice.

Yours,
Joel