Re: [Autoconf] new charter

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 26 February 2009 19:44 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:44:37 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] new charter

Teco Boot a écrit :
> Inline:

Sorry, I made an error indeed putting same prefix.  How about this
updated picture with the prefixes being distinct:

         -----  wifi "adhoc1"  ------  wifi "adhoc2"  -----
        |Host1|---------------|Router|---------------|Host2|
         ----- LL1         LL2 ------ LL3        LL4  -----
               G1                                G4

        "adhoc1" and "adhoc2": 802.11 ESSIDs in "ad-hoc" mode.
                               Each is an IPv6 subnet.
        LL1...4: IPv6 link-local addresses.
                 Self-formed according to rfc2464.
        G1, G4:  IPv6 global addresses, for example
                 2001:db8:1::1/64 and
                 2001:db8:2::4/64
                 Manually assigned, or pre-configured with SNMP
                 or formed according to stateless autoconf rfc4862;
                 the prefixes are advertised by Router in RAs.

> If not, and one configures globally unique addresses with same prefix on
> different segments, (s)he is fully responsible for what services are and are
> not provided. I would never design such a network.

I agree.

Alex