Re: [Autoconf] new charter

"Teco Boot" <teco@inf-net.nl> Thu, 26 February 2009 19:04 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
To: 'Alexandru Petrescu' <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>, 'Ryuji Wakikawa' <ryuji.wakikawa@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:04:57 +0100
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] new charter

Inline:

|-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----

|        |Host1|---------------|Router|---------------|Host2|
|         ----- LL1         LL2 ------ LL3        LL4  -----
|               G1                                G4
|

|        "adhoc1" and "adhoc2": 802.11 ESSIDs in "ad-hoc" mode.
|                               Each is an IPv6 subnet.
|        LL1...4: IPv6 link-local addresses.
|                 Self-formed according to rfc2464.
|        G1, G4:  IPv6 global addresses, for example
|                 2001:db8::1/64 and 2001:db8::4/64.
|                 Manually assigned, or pre-configured with SNMP
|                 or according to stateless autoconf rfc4862.

I do not understand why the router doesn't advertize prefixes. If so, the
hosts can autoconfigure globally unique addresses, with distinct prefixes.
If not, and one configures globally unique addresses with same prefix on
different segments, (s)he is fully responsible for what services are and are
not provided. I would never design such a network.
So I would say: no.

My 2ct, Teco