Re: [CCAMP] WG Last Call comments on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-g709v3-04

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Tue, 15 January 2013 16:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:56:21 -0500
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
To: Fatai Zhang <zhangfatai@huawei.com>
Cc: CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-g709v3@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-g709v3@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] WG Last Call comments on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-g709v3-04

Fatai,
	Please see below for responses in-line .
Lou

On 1/15/2013 2:47 AM, Fatai Zhang wrote:

> Hi Lou,
>
> Sorry for late response because of my vacation.
>
> Please see in-line below.
>

> Best Regards
>
> Fatai

Given

http://tools.ietf.org/idnits?url=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-g709v3-04.txt

http://tools.ietf.org/idnits?url=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-g709v3-05.txt

>> but may
>> If you
>> to grant
>> can ignore
>> disclaimer.
>> http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info for more information.)
>>>>
>>> [Fatai] Will update “Copyright Notice” section.
>>
>> okay

>>> [Fatai] OK.

>>> [Fatai] The format is the same as RFC4328. Did you mean that it
>>> needs “Length”, “Class-Num” and “C-Type”? If yes, I will add
>>> them. If you mean that it needs text to define all the fields, I
>>> think the text is already there (then this comment may be related
>>> to your other comments below).
>>
>> Its important to differentiate the syntax (i.e., format) from the
>> semantics (i.e., usage).  How about:
>>
>> Signal Type: 8 bits
>>    As defined in [RFC4328] Section 3.2.1, with the following additional
>> values:
>>   (insert lines 266-285)
>>
>> Reserved: 8 bits
>>    As defined in [RFC4328] Section 3.2.5.
>>
>> Tolerance: 16 bits
>>    (insert lines 296-298)
>>
>> NVC: 16 bits
>>    As defined in [RFC4328] Section 3.2.3.
>>
>> Multiplier (MT): 16 bits
>>    As defined in [RFC4328] Section 3.2.4.
>>
>> Bit_Rate: 32 bits
>>    (insert lines 290-294)
>>
>> The other parts, lines 287-288, 300-319 should be merged into section
5.1.

> [Fatai] Got it. OK to accept your suggestion and try to update the
> text in this way.

I assume this is a statement not a question. Let me know if there is a
question, or discussion point here.

>> parameter processing now be defined in this document?
>>>>
>>> [Fatai] I just wanted to avoid the overlapped text (almost the same
>> text as RFC4328). Will accept your suggestion to expand the text as
follows:

>>> There is no Adspec associated with the OTN-TDM SENDER_TSPEC. Either
>>> the Adspec is omitted or an Int-serv Adspec with the Default General
>>> Characterization Parameters and Guaranteed Service fragment is used,
>>> see [RFC2210].
>>>
>>> For a particular sender in a session, the contents of the FLOWSPEC
>>> object received in a Resv message SHOULD be identical to the contents
>>> of the SENDER_TSPEC object received in the corresponding Path
>>> message. If the objects do not match, a ResvErr message with a
>>> "Traffic Control Error/Bad Flowspec value" error SHOULD be generated.
>>>
>>> Intermediate and egress nodes MUST verify that the node itself, and
>>> the interfaces on which the LSP will be established, can support the
>>> requested Signal Type, NVC, Tolerance and Bit_Rate values. If the
>>> requested value(s) cannot be supported, the receiver node MUST
>>> generate a PathErr message with a "Traffic Control Error/Service
>>> unsupported" indication (see [RFC2205]).
>>>
>>> In addition, if the MT field is received with a zero value, the node
>>> MUST generate a PathErr message with a "Traffic Control Error/Bad
>>> Tspec value" indication (see [RFC2205]).
>>>

>> Is this a new section, perhaps 5.3?
>>
> [Fatai] Yes. Try to add a new section to describe what you want.

Hereto, I assume this is a statement of intent not a question. Let me
know if there is a question, or discussion point here.

>> Tolerance in
Here:

>>> [Fatai] Sorry I should not say “Accepted and refined the text.”
>>> last time. They are not repeated. here, the text just describes the
>>> meaning of the corresponding fields (as we always do), so the above
>>> text should be there irrespectively. Section 5.1 & section 5.2
>>> describe “how” with more detail information including formulation,
>>> Table information and example.
>>>
>> If the text in the early part of 5 is revised as I suggest above (and
>> the other lines are merged as suggested above) then this comment will be
>> resolved.
>>
> [Fatai] OK.

>>> [Fatai] No. “N” cannot be used for ODUflex(CBR) case.
>>
>> Do you really mean "cannot"?  I may be missing something, but it would
>> seem less ambiguous/prone to interop issues if N was directly carried.
>>
> [Fatai] My misunderstanding here. I thought you proposed to replace
> “bit rate” with “N”.

Great.

>>> It is better
>>> to have consistent format and the same meaning of one field for both
>>> ODUflex(CBR) and GFP. This is why we have section 5.1 &5.2 to
>>> describe the complex stuff.
>>>

>> I actually wasn't suggesting that N be carried in the bit rate field.
>> The bit rate field can either be set as described or to zero (i.e.,
>> ignored).  At the time, I was thinking about carrying N in the reserved
>> field. But perhaps the right place is MT, if my understanding is right
>> (would always be 1 otherwise). I'm open to either...
>>
> [Fatai] Why not just use “bit rate” field to carry “N” because “N”
> implies bit rate?  I am OK if you like to use a new filed (like “TS
> Number”) to occupy the reserved field even though that I prefer the
> original approach (ie., use “bit rate” field to carry “N”).

Are you proposing dropping carrying bit rates represented as an IEEE
floating point and just carrying N for ODUflex? This seems workable to
me, but we should ensure that there are no significant objections.

> BTW, I don’t think MT is the right place (it will cause ambiguity if
> MT is used to indicate “TS Number”).

I'm not sure which case you're referring to, but I don't think we need
to worry about it given your proposed encoding.

>>> [Fatai] OK. Should use “Pad bits” instead of “Padding bits”
>>
>> “Pad bits” it is...

>>> [Fatai] Will refine the text based on your suggestion. Do I need to
>>> copy so much text here for review?
>>
>> It's up to you, but personally, I think it's better to discuss the text
>> on the list first rather than publishing and then discuss/wordsmith.
>> But this is just a personal preference.  Either way works. (draft
>> revision numbers are cheap after all.)
>>
> [Fatai] OK, I will issue a new version to capture all the updates and
> make it easy for people to converge.

As you wish.

>> cases.

>> s/an/a

>>> [Fatai] OK. Accept your proposed text.

>>> [Fatai] OK, I think it is better to say “The procedures MUST follow
>>> Section 5 of [RFC6344].”
>>
>> Are there any procedures defined in section6.3 that differ/add to 6344?
>> If I'm not mistaken, the only thing is that ODUflex signal types cannot
>> use "multiplication". (Please confirm.)
>>
>> Assuming I'm correct, how about replacing the contents of the section
>> with something along the lines of:
>>
>>    Support for Virtual Concatenation, as defined by [RFC6344], is not
>>    modified by this document. With the exception of ODUflex signal
>>    types, signal multiplication as defined in [RFC6344] and [RFC4328].

s/as/is as

> [Fatai] Right. Will accept your proposed text.

great

http://www.iana.org/assignments/gmpls-sig-parameters/gmpls-sig-parameters.xml)

>> registered in the existing RFCs (like RFC3473, RFC4328..).

>>> [Fatai] OK to register “Signal Type”.
>>
>> Is this a question or statement?
>>
> [Fatai] A statement. I am planning to register “Signal Type”.

great.

Thanks,
Lou