Re: [codec] draft test and processing plan for the IETF Codec

Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin@jmvalin.ca> Fri, 15 April 2011 03:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 23:16:31 -0400
From: Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin@jmvalin.ca>
To: Anisse Taleb <anisse.taleb@huawei.com>
Cc: "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] draft test and processing plan for the IETF Codec

Hi Anisse,

I gave some more thought on your proposed test plan and as Cullen
suggested, I think the main cause of disagreement is not that much on
the testing, but on the conditions for publishing (large number of BT,
NWT). Considering that ultimately, the decision to publish a spec is
always based on WG consensus, then I think that problem can be
completely bypassed. Once we make it up to the individuals to decide,
then we can focus on "simply" designing a good test.

Overall I thought the conditions you were proposing in section 2 were
pretty reasonable. There's a few details like selecting existing rates
for codecs like Speex and iLBC, but that should be easy to solve. Once
these are sorted out, interested parties (we had several hands raised in
the last meeting) can start testing and we then let each individual
decide on whether the codec is any good based on the results of the tests.

Sounds like a plan?

     Jean-Marc