Re: [dane] Start of WGLC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey - *please* review.

"Jim Schaad" <ietf@augustcellars.com> Mon, 23 February 2015 20:40 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Warren Kumari' <warren@kumari.net>, dane@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:39:24 -0800
Subject: Re: [dane] Start of WGLC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey - *please* review.

If we are going to deal with these cases then there are number of other
problems that need to be addressed.  Specifically the fact that there is
going to be a problem matching of email addresses found in the PGP key ring
and those that are on the to/from line of a mail message.

MUAs have traditionally just done simple comparisons of names, they are not
going to be able to handle the type of thing where google starts removing
periods from the name.

A person is going to say - send me that and here is my address.  If it has
funny things in it, that is going to need to be matched in the PGP key ring.
I don't know how common that is for PGP, but it was rare in the S/MIME world
when I was doing work there.

Even case folding is not a requirement for S/MIME clients on doing name
comparisons of the address in the headers as compared with the address in
the certificate.

There are two different names that needs to be dealt with:

1.  The name the owner of the mail box thinks that is being used.
2.  The name that mail system thinks is being used for the mail box.

If these names differ by more than case, then there are going to be a great
number of failures in comparisons between from and to fields and the email
address in either a certificate or a key ring.  While there are stupid
folding rules that have been implemented by different systems.  They are
going to lead to problems if they are not recognized by the owner of the
mail box.  If I think the address is John.Doe@google.com and put that into a
key ring and the From address is JohnDoe@google.com then there is never
going to a successful match by an MUA to begin with.

Jim