Re: [dhcwg] Network Time Protocol (NTP) Options for DHCPv6

Bud Millwood <budm@weird-solutions.com> Wed, 28 November 2007 22:21 UTC

From: Bud Millwood <budm@weird-solutions.com>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Network Time Protocol (NTP) Options for DHCPv6
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:35:17 +0100

How many DHCP options are normally configured to point to services outside of
the operator's domain? How many public SIP servers are there, for example?

As a server writer I have a built-in aversion to changing the way we
distribute location of services, but in this case it seems justified to use a
DNS name simply because the de-facto standard, as far as I can tell, is to
point clients outside the admin-controlled domain. So maybe the projected use
of the service has a real bearing on this discussion.

I've read this thread a little quickly, but it seems that we could end up
passing multiple NTP server IP addresses to DHCP clients. If so, then the
packet space argument against DNS names starts to break down the more
addreses you distribute. At some point it would be less space to send the DNS
name than a list of n addresses.

And as for the argument that a DNS name requires a resolver on the client: how
big of an issue is this, really? How many devices are really likely to want
to sync their clocks over NTP but not have even a rudimentary resolver?

- Bud

Bud Millwood
Weird Solutions, Inc.
http://www.weird-solutions.com