[dhcwg] Re: [ntpwg] Network Time Protocol (NTP) Options for DHCPv6

"David L. Mills" <mills@udel.edu> Wed, 14 November 2007 13:11 UTC

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 04:33:58 +0000
From: "David L. Mills" <mills@udel.edu>
To: Brian Utterback <Brian.Utterback@Sun.COM>
Cc: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, dhcwg@ietf.org, "Richard Gayraud (rgayraud)" <rgayraud@cisco.com>
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: [ntpwg] Network Time Protocol (NTP) Options for DHCPv6

Brian,

We need to think about scenarios for server discovery. Without prejudice
on the message formats, a virgin client might be directed to either:

1. Listen for broadcast/multicast on <address> and do/do not execute a
volley. I like the delay field to enable/disable that and have added it
to ntpd. In principle, the delay can be determined from the DHCP packets
themselves, a feature that might be added.

2. Troll the pool at one of the pool DNS names, us.pool.ntp.org, etc.
The client should be smart enough to use/not use iburst and preempt flags.

3. Specify a list of <addresses> to send to, each together with the mode
and  minpoll. I don't think maxpoll is useful either.

4. Specify a manycast server group address, ttl limit and beacon interval.

In the broadcast/multicast, pool and manycast schemes, we need the
optional tos floor and tos ceiling and tos cohort commands as well. All
schemes may need the key ID or Autokey flag.

All this makes me nervous. A possible alternative is simply to send a
configuration file like the ntpq program can now. However, this of
course is implemention specific. It might be useful to provide the name
of a local configuration file only. The most important thing is to make
it flexible for use by current ntpd and possibly others.

Dave