Re: [dispatch] SIP and GSM/UMTS with OpenBTS

Gullik Webjörn <gullik.webjorn@corevalue.se> Wed, 05 February 2014 14:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:00:14 +0100
From: Gullik Webjörn <gullik.webjorn@corevalue.se>
To: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] SIP and GSM/UMTS with OpenBTS

On 02/05/2014 11:47 AM, Tim Panton new wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2014, at 06:39, Jim Forster <jim.forster@rangenetworks.com
> <mailto:jim.forster@rangenetworks.com>> wrote:
>>
>> When facing the Internet, OpenBTS is simply a SIP client.  However,
>> to assure interoperability, there may be value in standardized
>> behavior, including these issues:
>
> It may be a SIP client, but in some ways it is a non-traditional one,
> a single BTS may well present as multiple phones (possibly thousands)
> like a giant ATA bank of old.
>

>> * Which elements of SIP are needed for this operation?
>
> We need to go through the uM (GSM air interface) and document how that
> maps to SIP, this will give us a
> list of SIP actions that need to be supported to make a working UM cell
>
>> * Should these be documented in a profile of SIP usage to be OpenBTS
>> Ready?
>
> Yes, but we need a better name - UMSIP  perhaps?
>
>> * Should ICE be recommended or possibly be required for operation
>> behind NATs?
>
> My experience of trying to install these things is that NAT is a
> persistent problem, getting an internet connection into
> a village in the middle of nowhere is hard enough, expecting it to
> have an unfiltered public IP address is too much to ask.
> Fall back methods of running a VPN or using rfc5456 are both
> unsatisfactory. ICE will help with the RTP streams,
> but we need to get the SIP flowing too - perhaps SIP over TCP or even
> websockets is a better fit?
>
>> * What about BTS-BTS neighbor discovery
>
> In order to handover a moving call to the next cell, a BTS need to
> know where the next cells are, at the moment
> openBTS uses a private protocol/config. It would be great if we could
> use a suitable pre-existing SIP mechanism and document that
> usage.
>
>> * Use of SIP Re-invite for hand-over when a mobile phone moves from
>> one BTS to a neighbor
>
> Or some other mechanism.
Here is room for some enhancements, adding to preconfigured handover /
roaming.

A simple mechanism to propagate and apply a ruleset, such that each BTS
responsible for the registration
can indicate whether a) A foreign MS is allowed to handover / roam to
this BTS, and b) A local MS is allowed to request its information via a
foreign
BTS. This will allow policy based mobility, i.e. bilateral agreements
between BTS's. My 2 c worth.

Gullik