Re: Off-topic: making WebRTC work in practice (Re: a brief pondering)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 08 April 2020 21:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 23:46:24 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>
Cc: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, IETF Crazy <IETF@ietf.org>, manycouches@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Off-topic: making WebRTC work in practice (Re: a brief pondering)

[adding manycouches as this is really technical. ]
[can not well Bcc ietf as mailman seems to hate it]

Thanks for the insight, Cullen, Harald.

I can well understand that it is frustrating if you really want to build
a high-functional browser based app and are then not given all the
necessary support by browsers. It also makes perfect sense though for google
to only care for where their money comes from, and if that
means that android is the reference for what to do across all other
platforms and forces this onto W3C, then one just needs to take
this into account accordingly and make the community understand those
limitations of RTCweb/W3C solutions.

The question for IETF/manycouches is IMHO, what IETFs priority order of
requirements against conference tools in the future should be.
I would ideally like an open source solution working on Mac, Windows,
Linux. In other communities i would include android, but i think for
our work style its irrelevant, and if the solution is open
source, someone will port it from linux to android anyhow when needed.
Could the solution be RTCweb based ? Sure, why not, but thats just
an option to achieve such results, it should not be a mandate.

I do not quite understand Haralds argument, that full standards
should only include what vendors utimately implemented in draft standard stage.
Assume that there are only 2 vendors implementing some protocol and they
just could not be bothered to implement the security requirements,
does that mean the full IETF standard should drop the security requirements ?

I am not sure though how this all relates to what i thought the
root of the discusion was, diagnostics:

I would certainly be interested to better understand what tracing options at
the RTCweb ap-to-browser API level exist, because my past decades
troubleshooting of (native) conferencing app networking issues always
came down to logs, syscall-traces and network traces. All the TLS
security of course makes that tracing a lot more difficult.

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---