Re: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-03.txt> (LISP EID Block) to Informational RFC

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Fri, 16 November 2012 16:00 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:00:19 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Roger Jørgensen <rogerj@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-03.txt> (LISP EID Block) to Informational RFC
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, lisp@ietf.org

It is a fair question to ask whether the allocation strategy and polices
need to be spelled out at the time of the reservation.  Possibly we made
the wrong call on keeping them separate.  Part of the issue is that fo
current experimentation having the block is more important, but for
longer term experiments, and for implications on other parties, the
allocation policies matter more.

With regard to interworking and deployment, there are a number of
documents that deal with that.  They discuss what the currently
understood deployment incentives are, and what paths are currently seen.
   (As Noel noted, this is an experiment, and one should expect that the
actual path will be different from the expectation.)  Given that
interworkng dives are data plane devices, altruism is clearly not a
sufficient incentive to get this to scale, and the models do not depend
upon that.

Yours,
Joel