Re: Last Call: Modern Global Standards Paradigm

Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com> Sat, 11 August 2012 01:19 UTC

Subject: Re: Last Call: Modern Global Standards Paradigm
From: Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:52:59 -0700
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
Cc: IAB <iab@iab.org>, IETF list <ietf@ietf.org>

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read what the proposal is. The proposal being put forth is not that the ITU-T wants to write Internet standards. The proposal being put forth is that ONLY ITU-T standards will be the *legal* standards accepted by signatory nations.

At best, this would be a repeat of GOSIP in the U.S., where the law was the U.S. government could only buy OSI products. The issue there was the private sector was still free to buy what it wanted and DoD did not really follow the rules and bought TCP/IP instead. TCP/IP in the market killed OSI.

The difference here is some countries may take their ITR obligations literally and ban products that use non-ITU protocols. Could one go to jail for using TCP/IP or HTTP? That has an admittedly small, but not insignificant possibility of happening. Worse yet, having treaties that obligates countries to ban non-ITU protocols does virtually guarantee a balkanization of the Internet into open and free networking and controlled and censored networking.

Just as it is not fair to say that if the ITU-T gets its way the world will end, it is also not fair to say there is no risk to allowing the ITU-T to get a privileged, NON-VOLUNTARY, position in the communications world.