Re: Idea for a process experiment to reward running code...

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 03 December 2012 21:36 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 16:36:21 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Idea for a process experiment to reward running code...
Cc: IETF-Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>

And I will strongly oppose any IETF policy that treats commercial or
proprietary code differently from Open Source code.

Out mantra is "running code".  We try to stay out of people's business
models.

The presence of a implementation is a useful measure.  The presence of
interoperability between two independent implementations is clearly a
much better measure.
But reading the code is not a good measure of the spec.  An implementer
familiar with the discussions in the WG is likely to get right tings
that are under-specified.  Such an implementation does not tell us
anything about the quality of the spec.  Should we require an
implementation done from the spec without talking to the authors or WG?
  That would measure the spec better.  But would seem to be an
unreasonable requiremet.

he IETF, to the degree it wants to encourage something, wants to
encourage implementation.  It ought to be up to the implementors whether
they see value in an open source, closed source, or some other form of
implementation.

One could argue that it does not matter, since the experiment is not
going to change anything.  But I will assume that it matters, and will
change something.  If so, it should be "running code" that is the issue.

Yours,
Joel

PS: "Free" for whatever definition of "Free"distinct from Open Source
the suggester meant, would seem to be completely irrelevant to the IETF.