Re: [ippm] WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets-01.txt

steve.baillargeon@videotron.ca Sun, 01 April 2012 21:25 UTC

From: steve.baillargeon@videotron.ca
To: Henk Uijterwaal <henk@uijterwaal.nl>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 17:25:17 -0400
Cc: IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ippm] WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets-01.txt

  Hi Henk

 1) We have discussed this aspect last year and have agreed Informational is the best fit. The definitional of an Informational RFC (as defined in RFC 4677) is a specification that is created outside the IETF but is referenced by IETF documents or a precursor for work being done by IETF Working Groups.

 2) There is no relationship. This is for information only as a precursor to the problem statement.  We will be happy to work on the problem statement if the WG thinks it is beneficial.

 3) Yes the word congestion is used in a broad context here. In our working prototype, the accuracy of the results depends on having the inter-packet interval running near or “lower” the available capacity.  This is why the statement is there. I suggest debating a different phrasing in the problem statement.

  4) This draft mainly reflects the working prototype demonstrated in Prague in 2011. The prototype should work with any existing TWAMP modes including TWAMP light but it does not define a new TWAMP mode. We assume the work on the standard extension to the TWAMP protocol will be started after the work on the problem statement is completed. Is this correct?

  Regards
  Steve Baillargeon