Re: [ippm] WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-reporting-06.txt

Steve Baillargeon <steve.baillargeon@ericsson.com> Wed, 06 April 2011 21:06 UTC

From: Steve Baillargeon <steve.baillargeon@ericsson.com>
To: "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 17:07:39 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [ippm] WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-reporting-06.txt

Hi Stanislav, Hi Martin
Here are my comments.

- Section 2. The TWAMP protocol can also be used for obtaining the measurement data to compute any metrics including one-way metrics.
- Section 4. In the list, can you explicitly indicate that the "small set" of metrics can be one-way metrics, two-way metrics or both? Sections 4.1 to 4.5 almost imply there are one-way metrics. Reading section 5 and 5.2, I think you indicate that one-way metrics are preferred but two-way metrics may also be reported. Right?
- Section 4. How will a vendor state compliancy to this RFC? Does one need to support the reporting of all of the metrics in the "small set"?
- Section 4. Should we consider adding a "temporal connectivity" metric to the list as defined in RFC2678? It seems like a very basic and essential metric. During the measurement test, if a successful packet or reply is received, the value of the measurement is "true". I know it may seems to overlap with delay and loss metrics but operators treat it separately.
- Section 5.1. I understand that there are different measurement protocols with different minimum packet sizes. But what is the actual default packet size? If you don't explicitly indicate it, the implementation will always have to report the packet size since the user cannot easily derive it. The other option is to remove the statement.
- General comment. Have you considered defining a MIB as well your draft? As far as I know, the IETF has always favored the reporting of stats in well-defined MIB. I think it will help to compare performance reports from different implementations.

Regards
Steve B