Re: [Ntp] Finding leap-seconds.list

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> Thu, 08 November 2018 08:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 09:27:17 +0100
From: Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be>
To: Steve Allen <sla@ucolick.org>
Cc: "tglassey@earthlink.net" <tglassey@earthlink.net>, ntp@ietf.org, eggert@cs.ucla.edu, hidinginthebbc@gmail.com, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki@meinberg.de>, denis.reilly@orolia.com, dsibold.ietf@gmail.com, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject: Re: [Ntp] Finding leap-seconds.list

On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 09:28:44PM -0800, Steve Allen wrote:
> On Thu 2018-11-08T07:04:26+0300 tglassey@earthlink.net hath writ:
> > IETF nor any other non government agency ascribed with time keeping
> > should be cross posting the LSL.  It is created and is a requirement
> > of NIST (and other Government) related time services.
>
> IETF is not the authority for the recent time change in Morocco.
> IETF is not the authority for the recent time change in Metlakatla.
> Nor for any of the other data in IANA tzdb is IETF the authority.
>
> All of that data is painstakingly gathered by volunteers from a wide
> variety of uncooperative sources in order that it is possible to
> convert between internal system times and localized civil times.
>
> The leap seconds data are not different in any respect from all of the
> other data in the IANA tz database.  Those data are also needed to
> convert between internal system times and localized civil times.
>
> If the IETF is going to claim no authority for the leap second
> data then please justify the chain of authority for all of the
> rest of the IANA tzdb, or else delete all of that as well.

If you want to claim some authority over the leap second data,
it's the IERS. But as far as I know, they don't publish such a
file, and NIST just has been doing this historically.

Anybody can really update that file. And IANA seems to be
collecting all that data, and probably gets that file from NIST.
I see no problem considering IANA to be a useful source of it, even
if it's not the official authorative source.

The tzdb people seem to use:
ftp://ftp.nist.gov/pub/time/leap-seconds.list
ftp://ftp.boulder.nist.gov/pub/time/leap-seconds.list
ftp://tycho.usno.navy.mil/pub/ntp/leap-seconds.list

Where the first is a geo located server and ftp is most likely not
working.

Kurt