RE: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol

Santosh Chokhani <chokhani@cygnacom.com> Mon, 11 June 2001 22:11 UTC

From: Santosh Chokhani <chokhani@cygnacom.com>
To: Marc Branchaud <marcnarc@rsasecurity.com>, ietf-pkix@imc.org
Subject: RE: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:07:36 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Marc:

I fail to see a security risk in a key that has been revoked.  Absent
trusted time stamp, all the unnecessary revocation does is cause denial of
service.

If the PKI always was implemented in conjunction with trusted time stamp,
standards fully address the issue of validation (e.g., X.509 and PKIX path
development) and the products incorporated all this, it might work.  Even
then, there is an issue of CRL size growth.

There is little benefit in revoking just in case type scenario.  That way, a
key that is not destroyed and is being used is more suseptible to
compromise.  So, if we just kept on rekeying and revoking old certificates,
it will be a pretty poor solution.