Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol

Denis Pinkas <Denis.Pinkas@bull.net> Mon, 18 June 2001 13:57 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:22:03 +0200
From: Denis Pinkas <Denis.Pinkas@bull.net>
To: liaquat.khan@gta.multicert.org
CC: ietf-pkix@imc.org
Subject: Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Liaquat,

> I agree with what you are saying Denis,

Good.

> but the scenario I was painting was
> slightly different.  Imagine a digital signature which is being verified for
> the first time by a relying party.  The relying party checks the relevant
> CRL and realises that the certificate is revoked.

So the signature is invalid.

> However the signature was produced before the revocation occurred.

How can a relying party know that the signature was produced before the
revocation occurred ? Unless a time-stamp has been applied it is hard to
prove. Then if you want to prove that the signature was valid (or invalid)
at the time the time-stamp was applied, then you must get the revocation
information available at that time.

> It would be nice for the CA to
> indicate in the CRL within the reason code that the certificate was never
> valid.  So signatures performed even before the revocation should not be
> trusted.

One again, signatures performed before the revocation shall remain trusted.

Regards,

Denis