Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol

"Housley, Russ" <rhousley@rsasecurity.com> Fri, 08 June 2001 21:25 UTC

From: "Housley, Russ" <rhousley@rsasecurity.com>
To: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Cc: ietf-pkix@imc.org
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:47:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Peter:

You make an interesting point.  I figure that a message signed with the
private key that is claiming to be compromised is a good thing to pay
attention to.

If the message is from the subscriber, then that subscriber probably knows
that some bad thing just happened and the subscriber is trying to let
everyone know.  He does not want any one to rely on the key any more.

If the message is not from the subscriber, then the key has absolutely been
compromised.  What a nice attacker to tell everyone.

Russ