Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol

Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> Wed, 13 June 2001 18:25 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:40:40 -0700
To: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz, ietf-pkix@imc.org, marcnarc@rsasecurity.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Subject: Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

At 10:56 AM 6/13/01 +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:

>There's another revocation status which needs a way of indicating it which is
>somewhat trickier, I'll bring it up here in case anyone has any ideas:
>Sometimes a cert can be issued in error, what's needed here is a revocation
>reason which says that not only is the cert revoked, it should never be and
>was never valid at any time for any reason.  You can sort of achieve this by
>setting the revocation time to the cert start time, but there's no real
>way to
>indicate that the cert should never have been issued (I guess X.500 assumed,
>along with many other things, that all CAs are perfect and never make
>mistakes :-).  The reason why this is more than a theoretical concern is that
>for CMP it's a fairly standard part of CA operations to have to undo a cert
>issue, however there's no CRL reason code to indicate this operation.
>
>Peter.

Does this relate to why the "emergency CRL" published after the bogus
Microsoft code-signing certs were issued was not a "real CRL"?  I
understood that Microsoft supported one form of "CRL mechanism" while they
routinely employed certificates incompatible with that mechanism, and that
was the reason they cold not "just revoke" the (bad) certificates that were
issued.

Also, if a CA (in error) issues several certificates to company X and then
simply lists them as revoked (to fix the error), might this look as if
company X were at fault (poor key management, invalid requests, etc.,) when
in fact there were no such requests?  The ambiguity is disturbing.

___tony___

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900