Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol

Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> Fri, 08 June 2001 23:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:30:10 -0700
To: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>, ietf-pkix@imc.org
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Subject: Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

At 03:11 PM 6/8/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Using POP for revocation causes problems in two scenarios:
>
>- I have deleted my private key and discover later that it was stolen but
>not used before I deleted it
>
>- I have physically lost my private key to an attacker (such as my
>computer was stolen)
>
>The latter is probably much more likely. Given that private keys are often
>(usually?) protected with crackable passwords, the loss of a computer to
>an attacker can be pretty disastrous. I assume that many CAs have
>out-of-band revocation mechanisms for this case, but they certainly would
>take a long time, and are probably difficult for a typical end user to
>find out about.
>
>--Paul Hoffman, Director
>--Internet Mail Consortium

It is interesting to take each "misfortune" that might befall a key, and
consider the likelihood and timeliness of the discovery.  It my PC is
stolen, I'll notice it pretty quick.  If someone gets inside, either
remotely or by physical access, and intends to steal the key (to decrypt at
some later time), they are not likely to destroy my copy (tends to defeat
the purpose of stealing it, I would assume.)  In such a case, discovery
depends upon observing activities that may or may not be obvious, even when
the key is used.  If the key is used to access sensitive information, how
would I know, unless there is a policy of the information agency to send
the legitimate requesting party a confirmation/record of accesses.

Of your two examples, the latter is certainly "more likely discovered
soon", but I don't know if it is a more likely occurrence, overall.  I
suppose it depends upon how long it is before you notice the theft, or the
illicit use of the key.

The problem in considering these threats is that it is precisely the
"stealthy professional" who will trigger the most insidious
consequences.  The risk of damage is perhaps greater, and yet we tend to
discount the likelihood.

If CAs may "take a long time" to effect the out-of-band revocation, I have
to assume the issue is really some combination of "staffing" and "low
priority", rather than a concern about DoS.

Maybe I'm wrong.

___tony___

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900