Re: [PWE3] PWE3 WG adoption of draft-zhang-mpls-tp-pw-oam-config-06

John E Drake <jdrake@juniper.net> Tue, 20 September 2011 15:25 UTC

From: John E Drake <jdrake@juniper.net>
To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@lucidvision.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 08:23:30 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
x-exclaimer-md-config: cf379b08-bd3c-4ba0-a9bb-2500e331bd80
Cc: "pwe3@ietf.org" <pwe3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] PWE3 WG adoption of draft-zhang-mpls-tp-pw-oam-config-06

If one is using signaling to instantiate an LSP or PW, the necessary parameters are carried in signaling.  Since OAM is adding new capabilities, the parameters necessary to configure these new capabilities needs to be added to signaling.   In this model, the complete set of parameters is configured at one end of the LSP or PW.

You seem to be arguing that the right model is to pass some parameters in signaling and use coordinated configuration to set other parameters.   This seems counter-intuitive.