Re: [rrg] RRG to hibernation

heinerhummel@aol.com Sun, 11 November 2012 19:53 UTC

To: swb@internet2.edu, jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
From: heinerhummel@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 14:52:57 -0500
x-aol-global-disposition: G
Cc: rrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [rrg] RRG to hibernation

I an not pleased ether.
One group goes ahead with LISP-DDT, which is doomed to fail ! With drums and trumpets! As sure as the Amen in church ! With no rescuing trick in sight!
The other group believes in IPv6. I admit, I don't know what is special about IPv6. All I know is that the inventors came up with a crazy address space and I do remember voices from many many years ago which proclaimed the advent of the internet for our galaxy.I am sure, IPv6 would only create additional scalability problems. Imagine a future where we have only IPv6. Hereby imagine New York at New Year's Eve and several hundred thousand people operating as mobile sender's of  IPv6-multicast instances with multicast receivers far away (which may as well be mobile) !  We wouldn't not only have a scalability problem wrt forwarding but as well with respect to identifying the individual entities. How many IPv6-addresses are needed to identify one single mobile multicast instance? 1? 2? 3? How should it be retrieved by software?

Loc/id-split:
Obviously what is a locator and whether there are several components thereof or not hasn't been understood.
A unicast locator MUST BE location-indicating! A multicast -locator CANNOT but this doesn't mean that there can't be any.

Topology-aware BGP:
Distance Vector versus Dijsktra.
DV will never tell you about the upstream network (see also Shane Amante's email). This is a disaster if you want to manage traffic load (balance/ dissolve congestion) :-(
Reachability: We don't need reachability. we only need to know where is the indicated location !!!  Location based routing means no user reachability dissemination,  only location reachability dissemination!

Whenever I addressed these issues it was like I had sinned against some holy paradigm.

And we are far away from better routing:
I you only know the ALL-Nodes-Spanning-Tree (and not the All-Links-Spanning-Tree) then you call it Spanning Tree per se.
If you only know the Unicast-FIB (and not a Multicast-FIB, nor a Anycast-FIB)  then you call it FIB per se.

To reach a higher level you must view things from a greater distance and sometimes leave the old trails behind you.

Ich habe fertig
Heiner