Re: [rtcweb] SDP Security Descriptions (RFC 4568) and RTCWeb

"Ejzak, Richard P (Richard)" <richard.ejzak@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 29 April 2013 13:40 UTC

From: "Ejzak, Richard P (Richard)" <richard.ejzak@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:40:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.5.27.18]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] SDP Security Descriptions (RFC 4568) and RTCWeb

I responded to this question earlier so didn’t want to repeat myself, but see now that it was either missed or otherwise not accepted.

Quoting my earlier email from 4/25:

“Legacy devices support more than just audio and video media.  We will need to occasionally transport protocols like T.140, MSRP, BFCP, and/or RTSP in some cases, and the primary options are to transport them over DataChannels or WebSockets.  A network server will be needed to do transport level interworking, of course.  It would be useful in these cases to have an SDES option for DataChannels.  Not essential, but useful.  End-to-end security is not even an issue in this case due to the need for transport level interworking.”

After further consideration, I don’t currently see a use case for RTSP, but I still do for the others.  If we have a legacy endpoint doing T.140 and audio, for example, it would be useful to be able to multiplex the audio together with T.140/DC at the browser, and to put a box in the network to adapt them as necessary for the legacy endpoint (decode, demux, DC-to-RTP i/w for T.140, possibly transcoding).  SDES for DC just makes this easier to do.