Re: [rtcweb] Video Codec Selection Plan

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Fri, 13 September 2013 17:11 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:11:47 -0700
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Video Codec Selection Plan

Ted --
The H.264 vs. VP8 discussion has at this point been "overtaken by events", so that the proposed plan below would be a waste of everybody's time, about as relevant as debating the fashion merits of bell bottoms versus nehru jackets.
With Google having announced plans to implement VP9 (potentially with SVC), and with the recent ratification of H.265, the industry has moved on, and so should RTCWEB.