Re: [Softwires] Proposed Unified Address Mapping for encapsulation and double-translation

Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net> Thu, 06 October 2011 08:34 UTC

From: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 10:37:38 +0800
To: Qiong <bingxuere@gmail.com>
Cc: Softwires-wg <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Proposed Unified Address Mapping for encapsulation and double-translation

Le 5 oct. 2011 à 22:45, Qiong a écrit :

> Hi, Remi,
>
> Thanks for your effort. I think this is a big progress after the Interim meeting, and this unified address format is quite clear now.

Thanks.

> Here, I have two comments after a quick review. And I will get back to you if I have more comments later.
>
> 1. With regard to destination address format, if I understand correctly, it only covers hub&spoke model with a default "BR subnet prefix". Are you intended to propose another format for mesh one ?

The proposed format does cover mesh domains - ref. draft-despres-softwire-4rd-addmapping-01 sections 5. and 9., in which "BR IPv6 address" should now be replaced by "BR IPv6 prefix" (a /64).

One or several BR IPv6 prefixes can be explicitly advertised to CEs as parts of Domain mapping rules, e.g. with DHCPv6.

> Or just cite the "Source address format" as the destination address in MESH situation. I think it would be better to declare it separately for "H&S" and "MESH". This would be more clearer for readers to understand different situations.

When time comes to specify the unified format in a new draft, I agree that a clarification of how it applies to different topologies will be appropriate.

> 2. Still for the destination address format, I suggest to embed PSID as well in the lower 64 bits (as in the following).

<--------- 64 ------------>< 8 ><----   32 ----><--- 16 ----><8 >
+--------------------------+----+---------------+------------+---+
|     BR subnet prefix     | V  |  IPv4 address | PSID |  0  | L |
+--------------------------+----+---------------+------------+---+

The reported informal agreement we had in Beijing didn't explicitly cover destination addresses, and I just reported what we said, but this is AFAIK the implicit direction to go to.
Yet, there is a point to be taken into account:
- It concerns use cases where IPv6 prefixes are assigned without any relationship with IPv4 prefixes and where different sharing ratios are implicitly expressed by different IPv6 prefix lengths (they aren't the only use cases, but are the only ones where a flat IPv6 routing plan can be used with differentiated sharing ratios).
- For this, a BR or CE that transmits to a CE destination doesn't know the exact PSID length of this CE. It only knows the maximum possible length of this PSID, but this is enough for the right CE to be reached (ref draft-despres-softwire-4rd-addmapping-01 sec 7.)

Thus, for more generality, the format for a Destination CE would rather be:

<--------- 64 ------------>< 8 ><----   32 ----><--- 16 ----><8 >
|     BR subnet prefix     | V  |  IPv4 address |Max PSID| 0 | L |

If the PSID length is known, then the Max PSID is the exact PSID, but this isn't the only case.

> This would make it easier for in-the-middle systems(e.g. BNG) to do prefix mapping without packet decapsulation.

Exactly, that's the point of using IIDs to insert useful information.

> And this is quite similar to the source address format. What do you think of it?

Detailed answer above.

Kind regards,
RD