Re: [Softwires] Proposed Unified Address Mapping for encapsulation and double-translation

Congxiao Bao <cx.cernet@gmail.com> Wed, 05 October 2011 09:39 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 17:42:51 +0800
From: Congxiao Bao <cx.cernet@gmail.com>
To: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Cc: Softwires-wg <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Proposed Unified Address Mapping for encapsulation and double-translation

Hi,

2011/10/5 Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>

> Hi Gang,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> More below.
>

> Le 5 oct. 2011 à 01:10, GangChen a écrit :
>
> > Hello Remi,
> >
> > I'm trying to put some comments for such unified address mapping.
> > Regarding the deterministic benefit for double translation, I guess we
> > only could use V bits to achieve.
>
> Right.
> V is indeed a reliable tool for this.

If ISP wants to use a single IPv6 prefix for double translation and
Encapsulation, V mark is need.

> > There are no necessary to put IPv4 and Port-set ID information in last
> > 64 bits.
>
> The CE Pv6 prefix included in the /64 Subnet prefix isn't self delimited,
> so that the length of the CE index can't be determined in this part of the
> address.
> Having the length of the A or A+P prefix in the IID completes what is
> needed to derive the CE port-set.

Besides, if a medium or large size ISP can’t get short enough IPv6 prefix
(ex. /24), the first 64 bits can not contain the whole IPv4 32 bits, which
cannot make the double translation successful.

> > If I understand correctly, the encoded IPv4 and Port-set ID could help
> > to derive a shared/dedicated IPv4 address or IPv4 subnet from the IPv6
> > prefix.
>
> Yes.
> Besides, having the IPv4 address (or prefix) in clear form, and with an
> explicit sharing ratio, facilitates maintenance at essentially no cost.

Agree. Having whole IPv4 address in clear form is very critical for
operation, like IPv6 ACL.

> > It may help encapsulation in same cases(e.g. IPv4 based traffic
> > classification,IPv4 ACL, etc).
> > However, the translation case is more preferable doing pure IPv6 based
> > control for the sake of simpler operation reasons (e.g. IPv6 ACL).
> > It's desirable identifying a customer depending on first 64 bits.
>
> A point is that, although some realistic deployments may ignore what is
> made available in IIDs (at least at the beginning), some others would take
> advantage of it.
> A standard with a straightforward and unified format is AFAIK better than
> several variants, at least for documentation, training, maintenance etc.
>
> Note also that even with a single standard, it remains possible to add
> optional variants if found useful for some deployments.

The ISP is not able to achieve per-host traffic control without a standard
defining last 64 bits. If the ISP does, why not use IPv4+psid in suffix
naturally instead of other new bits definition?

Best,

Congxiao