Re: [Softwires] Proposed Unified Address Mapping for encapsulation and double-translation

Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net> Wed, 05 October 2011 07:31 UTC

From: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 09:34:18 +0800
To: GangChen <phdgang@gmail.com>
Cc: Softwires-wg <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Proposed Unified Address Mapping for encapsulation and double-translation

Hi Gang,

Thanks for your comments.
More below.

Le 5 oct. 2011 à 01:10, GangChen a écrit :

> Hello Remi,
>
> I'm trying to put some comments for such unified address mapping.
> Regarding the deterministic benefit for double translation, I guess we
> only could use V bits to achieve.

Right.
V is indeed a reliable tool for this.

> There are no necessary to put IPv4 and Port-set ID information in last
> 64 bits.

The CE Pv6 prefix included in the /64 Subnet prefix isn't self delimited, so that the length of the CE index can't be determined in this part of the address.
Having the length of the A or A+P prefix in the IID completes what is needed to derive the CE port-set.

> If I understand correctly, the encoded IPv4 and Port-set ID could help
> to derive a shared/dedicated IPv4 address or IPv4 subnet from the IPv6
> prefix.

Yes.
Besides, having the IPv4 address (or prefix) in clear form, and with an explicit sharing ratio, facilitates maintenance at essentially no cost.

> It may help encapsulation in same cases(e.g. IPv4 based traffic
> classification,IPv4 ACL, etc).
> However, the translation case is more preferable doing pure IPv6 based
> control for the sake of simpler operation reasons (e.g. IPv6 ACL).
> It's desirable identifying a customer depending on first 64 bits.

A point is that, although some realistic deployments may ignore what is made available in IIDs (at least at the beginning), some others would take advantage of it.
A standard with a straightforward and unified format is AFAIK better than several variants, at least for documentation, training, maintenance etc.

Note also that even with a single standard, it remains possible to add optional variants if found useful for some deployments.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards,
RD