Re: [spfbis] Updated charter - final review

Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org> Thu, 02 February 2012 01:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:15:01 -0800
From: Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org>
To: spfbis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [spfbis] Updated charter - final review

On 1/31/12 10:29 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:
> All,
>
> I have made some updates to the charter based on feedback during IESG
> review. If I can sneak it onto the Thursday telechat this week, I
> might, but the IESG might be none too pleased for me to put it on so
> late, so it may wait two more weeks. We'll see.
>
> Please review the below and see if there is anything that makes your
> head explode.
Dear Pete,

At any inbound SMTP server, there may be attempts to resolve an
extensive list of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses associated with SPF records
whether referenced from insecure SMTP Mail From or HELO/EHLO parameters.
SMTP services must cope with an extensive amount of unwanted traffic and
will therefore have extensive provisioning. SMTP distributed attacks
will be extremely difficult for any single SMTP recipient to detect. Nor
will victims of an attack be aware of the triggering messages. Victims
of this type of attack may not even exchange SMTP traffic.

Most sources of unwanted SMTP traffic originate from insecure hosts.
Resulting SPF related DNS transactions performed by receiving SMTP
servers will obfuscate their source. In addition, Authentication-Results
header fields, that may be added to forwarded messages, exclude source
IP addresses. Even when victims of targeted attacks are known, proactive
protection at either SMTP or DNS services can be thwarted by SPF’s macro
capabilities. SPF’s macros makes it impractical to identify records or
messages involved in an attack which may also lead to extensive traffic
amplification.

DDoS vulnerabilities may result from the distributed nature of SMTP
messages and receipt of DNS traffic related to SPF validation which may
consume all of a victim's available resources. Whether an attack
leverages HELO/EHLO subdomains or more significantly an email-address
local-part, the overall number of transactions involved can be extensive
while demanding little of the sender’s resources. An SPF ‘mx’ or ‘ptr’
mechanism limit corresponds to a ten times greater number of DNS
resource record resolutions. SPF deployment would be significantly safer
where recipients employ reasonable limits for the permitted number of
resulting DNS failures.

Determining reasonable DNS error limits for SPF should be part of the WG
charter. Potential victims of SPF amplifications will not represent
those needing to change the SPF process.

Regards,
Douglas Otis