Re: [spfbis] Updated charter - final review

Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org> Thu, 02 February 2012 20:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:08:09 -0800
From: Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org>
To: spfbis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [spfbis] Updated charter - final review

On 2/2/12 3:33 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
  Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org> wrote:

>>>   The charter already covers this. If there are operational problems
>>>   with the current design, it's in scope to address them.
>> Dear Scott,
>>
>> Perhaps express this as requirement to establish a realistic Security
>> Consideration section.  It seems unlikely email providers will notice
>> their role in what might be devastating DDoS attacks impossible for
>> victims to mitigate.  Depending on email provider's perspectives of
>> "operational problems" unfortunately overlooks these broader Internet
>> concerns.
> Your wording assumes a problem. That's not appropriate. Either these attacks you claim are devastating someone exist and there will be evidence somewhere or they aren't a problem. Redesigning protocols for invisible attacks that no one can find is nonsense.
>
> The work of this group needs to be about engineering facts and not flights of fancy.
Dear Scott,

When dealing with security "whatever can happen will happen" could be
termed "Murphy's law" and this provides a good basis for assessing
security.  Architectural flaws within Internet infrastructure become
pernicious when those impacted are unable to take corrective action.
Draft-otis-spf-dos-exploit-01 demonstrates the possible.  Fortunately, a
majority of large providers do not use SPF for message acceptance
because they do not wish to deal with complaints arising from
assumptions the SMTP Mail From parameter fully describes the path of a
message in conjunction with SPF records ending in "-all".

Including a limit in the SPF validation process for the number of name
errors or no data errors permitted would make the SPF process
significantly safer.  IMHO, a large factor contributing to undesired
SMTP traffic is the lack of domain authentication of outbound servers,
which should be possible within a few transactions.  Unfortunately, SPF
recommends resolving SPF records for both HELO/EHLO and Mail From SMTP
parameters obtained from otherwise unknown sources using as many as 200
DNS transactions that can be directed against non-existent resources!

We have a large number of customers within the pacific region, and are
currently seeing a greater amount of traffic against absolute IPv6
addresses than those against our own servers across a range of
services.  Email providers deciding to not accept IPv6 traffic will
likely be receiving it through Large Scale NATs.  At which point, no
number of SPF transactions will be sufficient.

SPF currently provides a useful utility in determining which reputation
service has listed an IP address authorized by the domain, or to
white-list their authorized addresses.  Use of local-part macros would
defeat the value of this utility and should be deprecated.

Regards,
Douglas Otis