Re: [tcpm] Is this a problem?

MURALI BASHYAM <murali_bashyam@yahoo.com> Fri, 02 November 2007 07:00 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:00:22 -0700
From: MURALI BASHYAM <murali_bashyam@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Is this a problem?
To: John Heffner <jheffner@psc.edu>, Mahesh Jethanandani <mahesh@cisco.com>
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org

Clearly there seems to be no consensus on where the problem lies.  I've heard that it's not a transport problem, and that the responsibility for mitigating the problem lies with a) sockets API, b) OS, and
c) the application. That's as varied a response as one can get...

It seems to me that all of these approaches have a key flaw in that they leave the solution to be handled by a proprietary method of defending against the attack. Solving the problem in the transport layer would make the solution a standard one and applicable to environments a) where the standard BSD socket API is not the transport layer interface of choice, b) would work for user space or kernel-less TCP implementations such as TCP proxies and hence would not have to depend on the OS, and c) certainly would not have to be at the mercy of the plethora of TCP based applications out there which have not done anything abt it so far and are making the entire server vulnerable in the process.