Re: [tcpm] Increasing the Initial Window - Notes

Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@google.com> Wed, 10 November 2010 20:04 UTC

From: Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@google.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:04:48 -0800
To: Hagen Paul Pfeifer <hagen@jauu.net>
Cc: Mike Belshe <mbelshe@google.com>, tcpm <tcpm@ietf.org>, tmrg <tmrg-interest@icsi.berkeley.edu>, Matt Mathis <mattmathis@google.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Increasing the Initial Window - Notes

Hagen,

Please see my earlier response to the caching suggestions and
simulation/experiment questions.

Our draft suggests TCP MAY set the initial window of 10. The host can pick
their best initial cwnd based on their network properties if appropriate or
implement  RFC2140.

If raising IW upper bound is too aggressive and should be rejected as a MAY
clause, I argue IW3 is also too aggressive for some networks too. But RFC
3390 suggests raising IW3 primarily because of web objects size distribution
at that time. Further, we do not propose changing the response function of
TCP, which is the most critical part of maintaining the network stable.

Let's do a reality check: today browsers open tens of flows simultaneously
to work around small TCP IW (http://www.browserscope.org/  the "network
tab). A study from AT&T and U of Mich also show 15% TCP flows observed in
AT&T network already go over IW3. We want to bring this issue to the IETF
community/experts to stop this downward spiral of sneaky unfair latency
"tune-ups".

Cheers,

Yuchung