Re: [tcpm] [Tmrg] Increasing the Initial Window - Notes

Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org> Fri, 19 November 2010 04:11 UTC

To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
From: Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:12:13 -0500
Sender: mallman@icir.org
Cc: David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com>, tcpm <tcpm@ietf.org>, "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <ananth@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] [Tmrg] Increasing the Initial Window - Notes

> That's basically what I'm suggesting; it can easily be per subnet, per
> interface, or per the entire machine as desired.
>
> The ultimate point is:
>
> 	- put something in the end node that notices if/when
> 	it fails objectively, and fixes it
>
> 	- that same thing can allow the IW to increase
> 	over time if there are no problems
>
> I'll be glad to write this up if people need a more concrete
> proposal.

The problem here is that we still need a default initial window.
Something to use in the absence of this cross connection history.  And,
we don't really know how to develop this history in any sort of concrete
way.  You can write a "concrete proposal", but without some empirical
understanding it'll be more hand wave than concrete.  E.g., what
timescales does the state work at?  What granularity of "recipient"?
What thresholds for increasing the IW?  Decreasing it?  Etc.

All this bears on the prevalence of the opportunity to leverage previous
history in subsequent connections.  It is not hard for me to envision
that all this is going to boil down to being isomorphic with whatever we
choose for the default initial cwnd because we just don't have all that
many opportunities to share the state and/or build up to a appreciably
bigger IW value.

I'd love to see something like this worked out and rigorously
investigated.  But, without some effort it is not a viable alternative
(today).

allman