Re: [Tools-discuss] Proposal to discontinue live mp3 audio streams at IETF meetings

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Thu, 01 October 2020 20:36 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, "tools-discuss@ietf.org" <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 16:36:21 -0400
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] Proposal to discontinue live mp3 audio streams at IETF meetings

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> wrote:
    > On 10/1/2020 11:33 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
    >> I understand.  I would request that the mp4's that are produced and
    >> uploaded to youtube be made available via some other site as well.

    > I'd make the same request. A little bit ago, I went to try to find the
    > audio stream for a recent meeting, and was perplexed that the
    > recordings no longer existed. I'm sympathetic to the concerns that
    > Michael expressed; I also note that, even if you're willing to deal
    > with big tech platforms, the inability to download a local copy of
    > material from YouTube is a very unfortunate drawback.

Well, there tools that will do this, but youtube tries to break them, I
think. :-)

    > As an aside: prior to the youtubization of sessions, it was possible to
    > grab the individual media components from the meetecho recordings,
    > which was *even nicer*. For example, the HRPCRG had a very interesting
    > spot in their session where EFF's Eva Galperin gave a slide-free talk
    > that I shared with some colleagues. In the old format, I could have
    > pointed to the speaker video stream, which would have been nice. On
    > YouTube, the lack of slides meant that the speaker view was rendered as
    > 1/16th of the frame in the upper-right-hand corner, while the remaining
    > 15/16ths of the screen was blank. I'm not necessarily asking for that
    > format to be restored, but it would make for a replacement of the MP3
    > streams that isn't merely adequate, but actually quite superior.

I agree it would be nice to have the media components.
It might also allow for interesting remixes later on.

Also the meetecho recording does not include the jabber/chat view, the
participant queue (to see who is speaking), or the vote/hum results.
So even though you have jabber logs, it's difficult to easily see exactly
what it relates to.

The best part about watching the recordings though, is 2x playback speed :-)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )