Re: [72attendees] Dietary restrictions

"Soininen Jonne (NSN FI/Espoo)" <jonne.soininen@nsn.com> Thu, 31 July 2008 12:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:41:07 +0300
From: "Soininen Jonne (NSN FI/Espoo)" <jonne.soininen@nsn.com>
To: ext Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>, Dale Worley <dworley@pingtel.com>, 72attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [72attendees] Dietary restrictions
Sender: 72attendees-bounces@ietf.org

Hi everybody,

I have some experience with allergies having being allergic for all my life,
them getting worse in the last 8-9 years, noticing in the last 10-15 years
how things that didn't use to be in some food, now is there, and having an
allergic child. However, unlike Mary, I know absolutely nothing about
nutrition.

However, what I have noticed (after living in different countries) that all
countries handle different food restrictions very differently. For instance
Finland, the general knowledge of allergies is relatively high due the
amount of allergies we have. However, the knowledge of religious food
restrictions is very low. Countries that have relatively few allergies (and
still relatively homogenous religious population) have absolutely no
knowledge what so ever on any restrictions. My Italian father-in-law doesn't
believe that allergies even really exist - and he is a doctor. He doesn't
understand that he is not supposed to give things that my daughter cannot
eat - even in small doses. People think I'm a snob not to eat some stuff,
and they continue to tell me I could at least taste it to see if I like it.

In US, there is quite a bit of knowledge for different food restrictions.
However, people might not know what is actually in the food (trying to find
out if something is done with sugar or corn syrup in a restaurant is
according my experience practically impossible).

I just wanted to show here that there are very different approaches to food
restrictions in different countries. What seems to be easy, simple, or cheap
in some countries, is not that easy in others. Also definitions of a
restrictions are very different.

I'm afraid that the IETF does not have the means to address these issues
totally. We generally don't offer other food than the snacks during the
breaks, and they try to please the general public of the IETF. It is clear
we cannot please everybody. (I cannot ever eat the cookies during the
breaks. There is always something there I'm allergic to.)

I think the only solution is for us with food restrictions to help
ourselves, and seek the IETF's and local host's help whenever it is
available. We could have a group of volunteers and do a "food restrictions
support group". E.g. We could have a Wiki page in the meeting.ietf.org where
we could write out knowledge of the local food places, and we together could
for instance organize drives to the local super market, if needed.

Would people be interested in forming such formal group?

Cheers,

Jonne.

Jonne Soininen
Nokia Siemens Networks