[72attendees] Dietary restrictions

Dale Worley <dworley@pingtel.com> Thu, 31 July 2008 09:56 UTC

From: Dale Worley <dworley@pingtel.com>
To: 72attendees@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 05:55:54 -0400
Subject: [72attendees] Dietary restrictions
Sender: 72attendees-bounces@ietf.org

The problem with dietary restrictions is that there is a collision of
design goals.

If we use venues used to international conferences and pay full freight,
the chefs understand and will deal with all sorts of dietary
restrictions.  But that costs money, people are already objecting to
costs, and full-freight prices and globalized venues work directly
against our goal of being accessible to an international audience.

An effective, if unsympathetic, approach would be to have people with
dietary restrictions be responsible for finding their own solutions.
But people who are volunteers may well not have enough time to deal with
finding specialized food sources.

Ideally, food passes through the hands of chefs who can cope with
dietary restrictions.  But we don't really want to require sit-down
restaurant prices, we want mass-provisioned food prices.  But we want
individual customization also.

Worse, once we get beyond established international conference venues,
it may be hard to get particular dietary restrictions even understood.
E.g., it seems that about 0.03% of the Irish population is Jewish, and
though I'd expect a food service operation to have some idea that kosher
food exists, it's probably hard to obtain.  And though celiac disease is
not new, I don't believe that it was recognized until recently, and I
wouldn't be surprised if there are significant parts of the world where
it is not yet understood as a dietary problem.

Dale