Re: [codec] A concrete proposal for requirements and testing

Ron <ron@debian.org> Sat, 09 April 2011 09:55 UTC

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 19:27:21 +0930
From: Ron <ron@debian.org>
To: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] A concrete proposal for requirements and testing

Hi Roni,

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 10:14:06AM +0300, Roni Even wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to the proponents there is nothing preventing you from using OPUS
> for testing or in your product. What is being discussed is if the current
> version of the codec answers the current charter of the CODEC WG.

Well the RF IPR grants only permit us to do that once we've reached the
stage of publishing a definitive RFC.  The "internal" testing of course
has already taken place, within the bounds that Koen and others clarified
for interim use of their technology.  That we aren't seeing any more real
feedback from that testing says to me that it has achieved what it is
likely to in the short term.  And now we should put out a request for
comments to a broader audience, to solicit feedback from newer eyes.

But yes, the question now is indeed, have we fallen short of some part
of the charter, that so far has been missed.  I'm no real expert on
IETF procedure, but I see the "last call" as exactly that.  Time to
point out whatever you think others have so far missed, while there is
still time to fix the draft documents.

> I see in the email discussion two issues which may need to be resolved.
>
> The first is if the codec meets the requirements, but the requirements are
> not finalized yet. I can see that agreement can be reached if there is a
> focus to finish the requirement document.

We do have a draft requirements document.  So I guess it would be helpful
if people can point out exactly what sections they don't like, and what
they'd like to replace it with, if anything.

I'm not aware of the editors being behind with any proposed changes
that there is consensus for, are they?

> Note that the objectives are "
> Designing for use in interactive applications (examples include, but are not
> limited to, point-to-point voice calls, multi-party voice conferencing,
> telepresence, teleoperation, in-game voice chat, and live music
> performance)" so there are claims that you need to compare OPUS to codecs
> used in this application spaces.

Are you aware of, and/or proposing an alternate codec, that you think
meets the group charter better than our candidate codec?  I'd have
thought the time to mention that would now be long past, but if you
have one that we've missed, then please, I'd love to know, what is
its name, and where do I download its reference implementation?

That would certainly be an important piece of new information that
the group should consider.

But since I'm not aware of one, I can only read that as saying that
the candidate must indeed be suitable "for use in interactive etc."

I think the charter also says that if it isn't, we may need to make
another codec.  But I'm not aware of anyone else seeing the need for
that just yet, are you?

> Another way to address it is to limit the applications in the charter.

Given that we're now rumbling toward last call, could you please be
explicit about which of the applications you think we have failed at,
and what evidence you have to support that.  It will be much easier
to address them that way.

> One example may be to remove the telepresence application case.

For instance I'm not sure I follow how you think we may have failed
at that use case?

requirements 2.3 says:

 In addition, telepresence applications require super-wideband and
 full-band audio capability with useful bit-rates in the 32 - 80 kb/s
 range.  While voice is still the most important signal to be encoded,
 it must be possible to obtain good quality (even if not transparent)
 music.

Given that Opus just trumped HE-AAC in an unconstrained blind test
at 64kb/s (stereo), got mistaken for the reference, and can do 2.5ms
latency, which bit do you think we need to improve for telepresence?

> The second issue is the objective that  "The goal of this working group is
> to ensure the existence of a single high-quality audio codec that is
> optimized for use over the Internet and that can be widely implemented and
> easily distributed among application developers, service operators, and end
> users." Here again we may need to address the new IPR claims.

I think Stephan said he'd prefer people to talk about that elsewhere,
and afaik they are.  That's still a goal, and to the best of my knowledge
we are still on target to achieve it by the time we've dotted the t's and
crossed the i's on the rest of this paperwork.

> It can be done
> by re-charter or by changing the codec around the IPR. In the mean time some
> view that in the current state, the OPUS codec should be compared to
> existing royalty baring codecs.

I think it's on the record under note well that xiph will pull its IPR if
RF status cannot be achieved, so I don't think we need to worry about that.
We can't guarantee there will not be further vexatious claims, but we can
be sure that isn't a possibility this group will need to consider in the
context of finalising the Opus candidate we have.

Opus only need be compared to other codecs that this group could endorse
as being superior to it at meeting the charter objectives.  If you really
have one, then maybe we do have a contest after all, but otherwise, the
only question remaining is did we fail at a goal, and what can we do
about fixing that.

It doesn't matter if moonrocks are prettier than the ones I have in my
garden, they're still never going to get used there.  So please, if
we've failed at the charter, I *really* want to know.  Starting with
paragraph and verse.  But there's no point comparing apples and oranges.

The answer to that is simple.  Oranges always win. :)

Cheers,
Ron