Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> Tue, 10 June 2008 12:11 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:10:40 +1200
From: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
To: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

 From what I can tell:

a) the proposed problem is that of cookies being used across differently
administered web sites.

b) the proposed solution involves mapping the boundary between privately
and publicly administered DNS space.

I don't see how (b) addresses (a).  Web sites does not equal DNS.
Private vs public DNS does not equal differently-administered websites.

Furthermore keeping an accurate map of the DNS boundary is impossible.
So to me it seems like the wrong tool for the job.

Given that this model has been chosen, in the knowledge that it's based
on an assumption that the problem cases in (a) are addressed by (b), how
well has that assumption been tested?  The boundary issues should be
well known.  Several have been raised already on this list.  I'd be
interested in seeing Mozilla's analysis of them.

My feeling is there will be a lot of false positives and negatives near
the border, since the "solution" is in a different "space" to the
problem.  Given the amount of work entailed in attempting to do (b),
surely there's a responsibility to do this right?  I fear such a crude
tool will not only cause problems for users, webmasters and TLD
managers, but also leave ample room for people to circumvent its intent,
leaving us worse off than we are now - still with cookies broken, still
with privacy issues and XS issues, but now a major browser vendor
causing DNS administrative havoc, and forcing people to rewrite their
websites as well.  How to win friends and influence people.  And the
justification for this is that it will.... Allow some "safe" cross-site
cookies?  What happens when it doesn't do that?  Do people even care
enough about that to live with this solution?

In a perfect world if this turns to custard, only Mozilla would suffer,
but this isn't a perfect world, and actually I'm sure we'd all like
Mozilla to live long and prosper.

In the end what will be the deciding factors?  I see users dumping FF3
when it doesn't work with the websites they know and trust.  I see the
reviews bemoaning compatibility issues.  Mozilla needs to be careful
when introducing something like this that can create many compatibility
issues where the previous version didn't have them.  In the end if some
large jurisdictions refuse to play along, where does that leave
Mozilla's users?  Looking for another browser perhaps..  Unless Mozilla
feels it has too many users, I'd urge caution in that area.  As an
absolute minimum a way to turn it off... even if it is buried deep in
about:config (and you can't seriously expect us to believe that a
required criterion for a setting being in there is that it can be
understood by the majority of users).

Regards

Adrien